Sheri Dew was the keynote speaker on Thursday morning and spoke in her no-nonsense-I'm-not-going-to dumb-this-down-for-you way that we all love. And Julie Beck was the keynote speaker on Friday morning and she, also, didn't water things down or speak in a sticky-sweet Relief Society voice(!!). They both gave wonderful talks and I felt empowered and determined to do better and to be better.
The classes I went to throughout the two days were great. Talks about qualifying for the influence of the Holy Ghost; understanding the doctrine of grace (just a word here: I usually don't go to talks given by men at women's conference. I want to hear what women have to say. I want to have the example before me of a woman living in the trenches of life as a wife/mother/grandmother who is able to do and become all that is necessary WHILE she is tending to babies and paying the bills and cleaning the toilets. It is easy to be a holy man on a mountain. Talk to me when you're juggling all the things that women do. Randy Bott was one of the speakers on the doctrine of grace. I'd never heard him before and I REALLY appreciated what he had to say. There were quite a few "this is how it is so buck up and deal with it" phrases, which I like.), having a merry heart, and good-better-best. Really wonderful talks. It is quite something that so many "regular" women are asked to teach the doctrines of the gospel. This is such a brilliant conference, on so many levels.
On Thursday night Kathy, my sis-in-law from Ogden (I might add here that she is the one who set me up with Doug. That could be another story!) came down and added to the fun.
Janet, Kathy, Maggie, Shauna in the Marriot Center Friday morningFriday culminated in our new prophet coming and speaking to us. This was a very exciting thing. I admit that I was a little nervous about Pres. Monson becoming the prophet after Pres. Hinckley. I didn't really care for all the stories he'd tell during conference talks or the sing-songy way he spoke (I know, very shallow of me). When he spoke to us for the first time last April at General Conference I felt a physical thing in me. I've tried to analyze what it was I felt and that was the best I could come up with. While he spoke I knew he was the prophet and I knew that I could love and sustain him. I've heard this now from many people. So many have said that they saw the mantle of the prophet fall upon his shoulders during that first talk he gave. It reminds me of the event that happened in our pioneer days when Brigham Young stood up to speak after Joseph Smith had died, and so many people saw and heard Joseph Smith speaking.
Well, the closing session at Women's Conference is always wonderful. Thousands of women all gather to the Marriot Center and we're all chatting and visiting. At a certain point the words to hymns are displayed on the big screen and most will start singing, and that is always touching. On Friday the last hymn had been sung and there was no music and you could hear the buzz of quiet conversation going on, and then as President Monson and the others walked out there was such a sudden and complete silence as we all stood up. I was amazed at the absolute silence in that huge cave of a building with THOUSANDS of women. And then a few voices somewhere started singing "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet" and everyone else immediately joined in. It was so amazing and beautiful.
We sat in the bleachers behind the podium. The Marriot Center fills up fast! I took a few quick photos before things really got going.
Well, the closing session at Women's Conference is always wonderful. Thousands of women all gather to the Marriot Center and we're all chatting and visiting. At a certain point the words to hymns are displayed on the big screen and most will start singing, and that is always touching. On Friday the last hymn had been sung and there was no music and you could hear the buzz of quiet conversation going on, and then as President Monson and the others walked out there was such a sudden and complete silence as we all stood up. I was amazed at the absolute silence in that huge cave of a building with THOUSANDS of women. And then a few voices somewhere started singing "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet" and everyone else immediately joined in. It was so amazing and beautiful.
We sat in the bleachers behind the podium. The Marriot Center fills up fast! I took a few quick photos before things really got going.
Pres. Monson's main message to us was to find joy in the journey. He talked about the different threads of our lives and wants us to acknowledge the many good things we do.
As Pres. Monson left, when the conference was over, he paused and turned to wave to a section of women who waved back. Then he stood there and turned in a slow circle and waved to all of us. I think that was the first time he had looked up and seen just how many of us there were! At the risk of sounding corny, I could feel his love for all of us there. His final gesture to us was a big "thumbs-up-way-to-go" and a big smile and we all laughed.
It was a wonderful two days. I'm thankful I'm able to go to this conference pretty much every year. I'm glad I make it a priority and I'm glad that Doug and the kids are good about keeping up with life while I'm gone.
The cherry on the top was that I went to my mom's house Friday night and spent the night with her. We stayed up talking, like we always do, until I was seeing double-I was so tired! It was a great weekend. I am very blessed.
It was a wonderful two days. I'm thankful I'm able to go to this conference pretty much every year. I'm glad I make it a priority and I'm glad that Doug and the kids are good about keeping up with life while I'm gone.
The cherry on the top was that I went to my mom's house Friday night and spent the night with her. We stayed up talking, like we always do, until I was seeing double-I was so tired! It was a great weekend. I am very blessed.




3 comments:
Yay! It's my first comment!
I am so glad you had such a good time!
I was planning on attending this with my mother, but sadly, I got very sick and spent the next day sleeping and trying (but failing) to keep food down. I would have loved to have gone. It sounds like it was a wonderful weekend!
Shauna,
I am jealous mostly because I will probably never get to go! But mostly I am happy for you that you were able to go. I have been waiting anxiously for your report. It sounds so wonderful.
-Jen
Hi Shauna,
So glad you got to go. Thanks for sharing about it. I hope you'll tell us even more later.
Post a Comment